The holidays are supposed to be a pleasant time filled with relaxation and family bonding. Unfortunately for many, the holidays have turned into something else, something far different from the enjoyable experience described previously. If your holiday season is more accurately described by last minute gift shopping, endless errand running trips, busy schedules, and a lot of stress, it might be time for you to slow things down and take some time to reduce that dreaded holiday stress.
A great way you can eliminate some stress brought on by the holidays is to get a massage. If your opinion of massage stretches only as far as it being an indulgence, you may want to consider all of the physical, emotional, and mental health benefits it can bring you. On top of revitalizing and soothing the body and mind, massage can also:
- Relieve pain through the stimulation of endorphins
- Improve circulation by increasing blood flow which can reduce heart rate, lower blood pressure, and relax muscles
- Strengthen the immune system by increasing cells in the body that assist in the fight against sickness or disease
- Recover the body by decreasing swelling, releasing achy muscles and stiffness, and improving range of motion
- Diminish stress through muscle and mind relaxation, reduce feelings of anxiety, and enhanceme your overall well being
- Improve sleep for less feelings of fatigue and more energy
Other than the numerous benefits massage can bring, here are some other ways you can reduce holiday stress so you can enjoy this season the way it was meant to be enjoyed, stress free!
Exercise continues to be one of the most effective ways you can reduce your stress or anxiety. When you exercise, the amount of the hormone cortisol in your body is decreased and blood sugar levels are balanced.
If you are not already a believer in yoga, keep in mind there are massive amounts of studies that show its powerful stress reducing effects. The combination of deep breathing and movement reduce tension throughout the entire body which increases your overall well-being.
We hope this post will help you maintain your peace of mind throughout the holiday season and beyond. The holiday season does not have to be a time of dread, unhappiness, or stress. If you’re feeling these negative side effects of the busy holiday season, have any questions related to structural integration or massage, or if you would like to schedule an appointment with Structura, please call us at 801-897-8711.