If you have ever been to a great massage therapist you probably do not need to be reminded of many of these benefits. However, I thought it might be interesting to list some of the many benefits of massage that you may not be aware.
- Medical school students at the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey-New Jersey Medical School who were massaged before an exam showed a significant decrease in anxiety and respiratory rates, as well as a significant increase in white blood cells and natural killer cell activity, suggesting a benefit to the immune system.
- Preliminary results suggested cancer patients had less pain and anxiety after receiving therapeutic massage at the James Cancer Hospital and Research Institute in Columbus, Ohio.
- Women who had experienced the recent death of a child were less depressed after receiving therapeutic massage, according to preliminary results of a study at the University of South Carolina.
Studies funded by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) have found massage beneficial in:
- Improving weight gain in HIV-exposed infants.
- Facilitating recovery in patients who underwent abdominal surgery.
At the University of Miami School of Medicine’s Touch Research Institute, researchers have found that massage is helpful in:
- Decreasing blood pressure in people with hypertension.
- Alleviating pain in migraine sufferers.
- Improving alertness and performance in office workers
An increasing number of research studies show massage can:
- Reduces heart rate
- Lowers blood pressure
- Increases blood circulation and lymph flow
- Relaxes muscles
- Improves range of motion
- Increases endorphins (enhancing medical treatment).
Although therapeutic massage does not increase muscle strength, it can stimulate weak, inactive muscles and, thus, partially compensate for the lack of exercise and inactivity resulting from illness or injury. It also can hasten and lead to a more complete recovery from exercise or injury.
As stated above we could go on and on… I think you get the point. If you or anyone you know needs a massage please consider stoping in and speaking with us about the benefits for you individually.
Here at Structura Body Therapies we are concerned with the overall performance of the body and understand the importance of all areas of health and massage therapy. We are trained in Myofascial Release and look forward to introducing this type of treatment to you if it is the best form needed. We treat patients with all types of needs from automobile accident related injuries to sports performance work.
Please contact us today for any information needed related to massage or structural integration. call us at 801-897-8711